Saturday, May 9, 2009
Big Food
You know how sometimes people refer to the tobacco industry as "Big Tobacco" or the oil industry as "Big Oil"? I have finally begun to realise that there is a "Big Food" industry in this country. And I'm pretty sure that they don't have our best interests at heart, any more than the other two. It's all about the money. I have a feeling that there are a lot of people in the food industry who know that fat and starch and salt (french fries) is an addictive combination, just as addictive as fat and starch and sugar (donuts, cookies.) I'm not going to go so far as to say people should be filing lawsuits against McDonald's because they have gotten fat eating Big Macs and Super-Sized fries. I do say that it's not a bad thing to address the fact that McDonald's knows exactly what they are doing when they put that Big Mac together. I know from personal experience that fast food is addictive for me. Once I've sworn off it, and I've done this a few times, it is really hard for me to drive past these places. The craving is intense, as intense as the cravings I've wrestled with in the past for a drink or a cigarette. When you walk through a grocery store just look at the amazing array of packaged starch, fat and salt, everything from cheese puffs and potato chips to battered, deep fried chicken. Lay's potato chips knew exactly what they were saying when they launched their ad campaign proclaiming "Bet you can't eat just one!" They are exactly right, I've never eaten just one potato chip and stopped in my entire life. I've never been able to eat one Chips Ahoy cookie and stop or eat one bite of cake and stop. There may be some people out there who can, but I believe they are in the minority. The rest of us learn the hard way that, it's true, we can't eat just one. We learn that we will have to find ways not to eat that first one.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment